Saturday, September 14, 2013

not your mama's lasagna

I don't get to cook much at home, but when I do, I want it to be amazing! So I usually go all out and buy the EXACT ingredients the recipe calls for, no matter how extreme, obscure, or expensive. It's one of my quirks.

Well, last fall I found this amazing recipe for lasagna and I followed the directions. It was a huge hit in my house. Considering it had spinach, mushrooms, and ground turkey in it, I was surprised. My dad is more of a beef and potatoes kind of guy, and even he raved about it!
 
 Since then, I have made little tweaks and changes, making the recipe my own. And now it is my signature dish. Oh and it tastes even better the next day! (if there is any left!)

Well, apparently it is so great, my dad asked me to make a dish of it for him to take to his company's state meeting. Oh, and my family requested I make another dish just for them!

So, I doubled the recipe and made two lasagna's before heading to work.
Here's my ADHD friendly recipe with a few pictures.

NOT YOUR MOM’S LASAGNA
  • 1 box lasagna noodles
  • 1 jar Classico sweet basil sauce
  • 1 lb. ground turkey
  • 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 6 cups fresh baby spinach, washed
  • 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
  • 15 oz part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 1/3 cup grated parmesan
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup skim milk
  • 1 Tbsp fresh basil chopped*
  • 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning*
  • 1 tsp garlic powder*
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes*
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper*
  • 1-2 cups finely grated reduced-fat mozzarella 
In a large sauté pan brown the ground turkey over medium heat until almost cooked through.  Add the mushrooms and let cook for about 5 minutes.  Add the crushed tomatoes, Classico sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper; stir to combine.  Let simmer for at least 5 minutes.  Whisk together the ricotta, milk, Parmesan, egg, and fresh basil.  Remove the tomato sauce from the heat and layer:
  • Just a little bit (about 1/3 cup) of the tomato sauce on the bottom;
  • 1/3 of the lasagna sheets;
  • 1/3 of the ricotta mixture;
  • 2 cups of the fresh spinach;
  • 1/3 of the tomato mixture;
  • NEXT LAYER
  • 1/3 of the lasagna sheets;
  • 1/3 of the ricotta mixture;
  • 2 cups of the fresh spinach;
  • 1/3 of the tomato mixture;
  • NEXT LAYER
  • 1/3 of the lasagna sheets;
  • 1/3 of the ricotta mixture;
  • 2 cups of the fresh spinach;
  • 1/3 of the tomato mixture;
  • Cover the top with mozzarella cheese!
Cover pan with foil and stick it in the fridge until dinnertime.  To bake, preheat oven to 375.  Tent foil (so the melted cheese doesn’t stick to it), bake at 375 for about 1 hour, then remove foil and let it bake another 10 minutes or so until the top is bubbly and brown.  Let it sit for about 10 minutes before serving.  Enjoy!

*Add more or less to taste.
NOTE: If using oven-ready lasagna noodles, omit Classico sauce.
NOTE 2: Wheat lasagna noodles can be used to make it even healthier. However, the taste and texture will change slightly.


Because I was working I wasn't home when the Lasagna came out of the oven for an amazing after picture. But believe me, if I can make this lower fat, healthier lasagna, and my family loves it, then it must be tasty!
"People who love to eat are always the best people." -Julia Child



I have to agree with you, Ms. Child. They most certainly are!

No comments:

Post a Comment